2. Choosing an RESP

How to Get a Social Insurance Number

To start an RESP you and your child must each have a Social Insurance Number. A Social Insurance Number is a special number assigned only to you that you need to work in Canada or to receive benefits from the Government.

For more information on how to get a Social Insurance Number, visit Service Canada or call 1-800-206-7218.