1. What RESPs Offer

Provincial Grants

BC Training and Education Savings Grant

The Government of BC is now offering a one-time $1,200 savings grant to all BC kids between the age of 6 and 9 years old. To make sure you get this free money, your child must have an RESP account. You don't have to put any of your own money into the RESP to get this money from the Government of BC. If your child is eligible for the Canada Learning Bond, you can get both grants for free!

Can Your Child Get the BC grant?

All children born on or after January 1, 2006, whose parent or legal guardian lives in BC at the time of the application can get the BC grant.

How Do I Get My Child’s BC grant?

To get the BC grant, open an RESP account where the Government can deposit the money. Then apply for the BC grant with your RESP provider when your child turns 6. You must apply before your child turns 9.

Can SmartSAVER Help Me Get the BC grant?

Yes! SmartSAVER's online application will help you apply for the Canada Learning Bond and the BC grant. Our bank partners are getting set up for the new grant now. We're monitoring their progress and will contact you if there are any additional steps required to make sure your child gets the free BC grant.

What If My Child is Almost 9 years Old Now?

The Government of BC has extended the application deadline for children nearing their 9th birthday. Check here for the list of application deadlines.

Alberta Centennial Education Savings Grant - ended July 31, 2015